Thursday 6 September 2012

A Warm Welcome!

Dear Friends,

Having loved local food from an early age, I have decided to (finally) write about all the wonderful food that can be found around and about our beloved country.

I guess my love of food started out somewhere in Toa Payoh, where i used to live with my grandparents. I fondly remember my Ah Kong, waking up every morning at 5am to buy a wide array of food that will seem exotic to any 5-year-old. From Putu Mayam to Mee Chiang Kueh, Ah Kong opened my cousins and i to a world of food which i am still discovering till today.

Other contributors to my interest in discovering food would be my Uncle Henry. Looking back, i realise that his persistence to find ''The Best'' of any kind of dish had an effect on me. Although, i have to say that his recommendations mostly either contained:
A) Pork Lard
B) Copious Amounts of Oil
C) Loads of Bad Cholesterol

For the record, Uncle Henry always tried to bring me time and again to eat Tulang Merah at Golden Mile hawker centre. A.K.A: Sucking Sheep's bone marrow with a straw.

Interestingly, my parents also have played a crucial role. I remember vividly after every meal, that my mum would make all of us try and guess how much we spent on the food. While my dad's love for Mee Kia and Mee Pok led us to countless expeditions for Wanton / Bak Chor Mee.

Years Later, armed with a few years work experience, a diploma in Culinary Arts & a trusty Mitsubishi steed, i shall begin the attempt at journaling about these savoury and delightful moments.

Shiok Ah!

No comments:

Post a Comment